INITIATIVE MEASURE NO. 25
SPONSOR: W.O. Luckett, Jr./ Rory C. Reardon, 143 Yazoo Avenue, Clarksdale, MS 38614
SUBJECT MATTER: Cigarette Tax
BALLOT TITLE: Should cigarettes be additionally taxed at fifty percent (50%) of the national cigarette tax average with proceeds earmarked for Medicaid?
BALLOT SUMMARY: Initiative #25 would amend the Mississippi Constitution to require a new tax to be levied on cigarettes equal to fifty percent (50%) of the National Cigarette State- Tax Average rate which shall be in addition to all other applicable taxes on cigarettes. Ninety- eight percent (98%) of the proceeds of the new cigarette tax shall be distributed to the state Division of Medicaid and the remaining two percent (2%) used for administrative purposes.
ORIGINAL FILING: November 20, 2008
STATUS: Withdrawn at the request of the initiators
Click here to view the original filing
The official ballot title and ballot summary for an initiative measure are prepared by the Mississippi Attorney General’s Office. Initiative measures are valid for one year. During this one-year period, a petition may be circulated to place the measure on the next statewide general election ballot to allow the voters of Mississippi to determine whether the measure should become a part of the Mississippi Constitution. According to Mississippi law, for an initiative measure to be placed on the ballot, a minimum of 89,285 certified signatures must be gathered, with at least 17,857 certified signatures from each of the five congressional districts as they existed in the year 2000. This required number of signatures represents twelve percent (12%) of the total number of votes cast for Governor in the last gubernatorial general election. Signatures must be certified by county circuit clerks as belonging to registered voters in Mississippi. A completed petition should be filed with Secretary of State, together with a filing fee of $500.00.
For more information on the initiative process in Mississippi, consult the Mississippi Constitution of 1890, Section 273, and Mississippi Code Annotated §§ 23-17-1 through 23-17-61 (1972).