WHAT IS PROMOTE THE VOTE?
Promote the Vote (PTV) is the Secretary of State Office’s comprehensive K-12 voter education program. This year’s theme, “Why Vote?,” encourages students to consider the importance of voting and how it corresponds to their beliefs and values. Students will have the opportunity to participate in school-organized mock elections and will apply other skills through various PTV contests, such as art, essay, and video production contests. Mississippi Public Broadcasting’s (MPB) Education Department is partnering with the Agency to encourage school, teacher, and student participation through contests on social media.
WHO CAN PARTICIPATE?
The program is open to all teachers and students in grades K-12. We encourage participation by public, private, and parochial schools as well as home school associations.
HOW DO I GET STARTED?
Educators and parents wishing to participate in the 2022 Promote the Vote Program may register online at the link below. Registrants can expect an email containing a password, which will allow access to the site. Registration will close November 25 at 5:00 p.m.
WHAT IS INCLUDED IN THIS YEAR'S PROGRAM?
- Mock Election:
- This year, students in grades K-5 will have the opportunity to vote on a new Mississippi state song while students in grades 6-12 will focus on mid-term elections during a statewide mock election on Wednesday, October 26th. The PTV Mock Election is open to all students who are enrolled in a Mississippi school or program registered for Promote the Vote. Mock election ballots will be available on our website beginning Monday, October 17th.
- Art Contest:
- Grades K-5:
- “Proud to be a Mississippian” – Students are encouraged to express their Mississippi pride and creativity by designing artwork depicting civic responsibility and voter participation. Students should depict history, community, industry, people, nature, or any positive idea the student has on being a proud Mississippian in their art entry. Contest entries are due by Friday, December 16, 2022.
- Grades 6-12:
- “The History of My Vote”– Students are encouraged to express their creativity by designing artwork depicting a historical event or person that impacted our rights to vote. Contest entries are due by Friday, December 16, 2022.
- Grades K-5:
- Essay Contest: Students are asked to write an essay highlighting a key group or individual who has sacrificed to secure our rights to vote and why that group or individual is important to them. Contest entries are due by Friday, December 16, 2022.
- Video Production Contest: Students are encouraged to create a video persuading people to register to vote and participate in voting. Contest entries are due by Friday, December 16, 2022.
- MPB Social Media Class Contest: Students are encouraged to create a 30-second class video on how voting affects us. Click here for more information.
DOES IT COST ANYTHING TO PARTICIPATE?
Promote the Vote is a free program offered to all schools and teachers in the State of Mississippi by the State. All classroom materials are available for download after registration. For questions or assistance, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 601-359-4454.