WHAT IS PROMOTE THE VOTE?
Promote the Vote (PTV) is the Secretary of State Office’s comprehensive K-12 voter education program. This year’s theme, “Vote Local,” encourages students to learn about local offices and challenges them to consider a candidate who can make a difference in their respective communities. Participants will have the opportunity to "campaign" and "run for office" during school-organized mock elections and will apply other skills through various PTV contests, such as art and essay contests. Mississippi Public Broadcasting’s (MPB) Education Department is partnering with the Agency to encourage school, teacher, and student participation through contests on social media.
WHO CAN PARTICIPATE?
The program is open to all teachers and students in grades K-12. We encourage participation by public, private, and parochial schools as well as home school associations.
HOW DO I GET STARTED?
Educators and parents wishing to participate in the 2021 Promote the Vote Program may register online at the link below. Registrants can expect an email containing a password, which will allow access to the site.
WHAT IS INCLUDED IN THIS YEAR'S PROGRAM?
• Mock Election:
- Grades K-5:
- Students are encouraged to learn about local (fictional) candidates running for Mayor of their community. The PTV Classroom Guide provides educational material that will help students decide who they want to vote for on PTV Mock Election Day. Candidates include “Mr. Catfish” and “Mrs. Magnolia.”
- Grades 6-12:
- Teachers and students are encouraged to organize a “local election” for their grade level. Students are encouraged to create campaigns for one of the following offices: Sheriff, Mayor, Circuit Clerk, or Election Commissioner. Students will vote for the candidate of their choice on PTV Mock Election Day, which is Wednesday, October 27th.
• Cartoon Contest: Students are encouraged to draw a political cartoon regarding the local election process. Contest entries are due by Wednesday, December 3, 2021.
• Essay Contest: Students will construct an essay addressing the following prompt: "What characteristics or leadership qualities do you look for when choosing a candidate to best represent your community?" Contest entries are due by Wednesday, December 3, 2021.
• Digital Art Contest: Students will be encouraged to design the homepage for a fictional campaign website. Contest entries are due by Wednesday, December 3, 2021.
• MPB Social Media Contest: Students are encouraged to develop a catchy and creative campaign slogan relative to their community. Click here to read contest rules.
DOES IT COST ANYTHING TO PARTICIPATE?
Promote the Vote is a free program offered to all schools and teachers in the State of Mississippi by the State. All classroom materials are available for download after registration. For questions or assistance, please email email@example.com or call 601-359-6344.