Arace commenced onAugust 19, and by all accounts, it was successful. By 1891, the Bay-Waveland Club held its first regatta. In 1896, the Daily Herald reported that a new clubhouse for racing was coming to Bay St. Louis to accommodate the growing activity and to house the recently established Bay Waveland Yacht Club. Through the early twentieth century, reports abound about the Bay St. Louis yachting races and the Bay Waveland Yacht Club. The Gulf YachtingAssociation admitted the club in 1922. This sport is a part of the defining characteristics of coastal Hancock County.After Hurricane Katrina hit in 2005, members constructed a new yacht club to replace the one destroyed in the storm. After the Civil War ended, sawmills in Hancock and Jackson counties once again operated as railroad construction became a reality and commenced along the Mississippi Gulf Coast. Great quantities of lumber were needed to construct the New Orleans, Mobile & Chattanooga Railroad. Engineers and laborers completed it in 1870, connecting all of the communities between New Orleans and Mobile by rail. In Hancock County, twelve sawmills near the mouth of the Pearl River and six other enterprises near the Bay of St. Louis were operating in 1873, after contributing to the construction of the railroad. The New Orleans, Mobile & Chattanooga Railroad drove its golden spike on October 29, 1870, linking the coast by rail service. In just five hours, a passenger could travel between Mobile and New Orleans. This event doomed the steamboats to obscurity and reopened regions like the Pascagoula River area once again to sawmill production. The lumber boom in Jackson county lasted from 1870 to approximately 1910. The three major enterprises were the L. N. Dantzler Lumber Company in Moss Point, the J. S. Dees sawmill at Jackson Creek, and the Fernandez Gautier operation in West Pascagoula (Gautier). In the dredged harbor at Pascagoula and through Grant’s Pass came ships to haul the Jackson County lumber bound for Mexico, Cuba, Puerto Rico, Sweden, Norway, and England. In the 1880s, the crosscut saw was introduced, making the sawyers even more efficient. By 1889, Gautier produced 4,000 feet of lumber daily, while Dantzler cut about 138,000 feet per day. In 1891, the peak year of production saw 170 million board feet shipped to foreign and domestic ports. The combined mills of Pascagoula and Moss Point claimed the second largest sawmill operations along the Gulf Coast. Sixteen mills operated in the region, and the business continued into the twentieth century. By 1906, Moss Point alone had fourteen mills. New enterprises such as Farnsworth Lumber Company and J. I. Dixon & Company opened. As a result of this growth, Moss Point incorporated in 1901. By 1904, Scranton and Pascagoula became one city, Pascagoula, and BAILEY’S SCRATCHING POST Bailey’s Scratching Post is a four-by-four inch wooden post located in Lucedale. This historical place has drawn in many visitors and famous people, including Elvis Presley and President Ronald Reagan.The eight-foot tall post stands on the sidewalk close to the intersection of Main and Mill Streets. Today, it stands by a Chinese food restaurant, but from 1937 to 1993, Bailey’s Scratching Post stood beside the famous Coffee Pot Restaurant. PHOTO BY GREG CAMPBELL PHOTO COURTESY OF THE LIBRARY OF CONGRESS, DETROIT PUBLISHING COMPANY SHOO-FLY In Biloxi, shoo-flies were often located at hotels, wrapped around a large oak tree in the lawn facing the coast. Dating back to the nineteenth century, a shoo-fly is a gazebo-like wooden structure with a roof made of leaves built to provide shade from the heat of the summer. These structures caught cool breezes and turned away the biting flies. 62 A BICENTENNIAL HISTORY OF MISSISSIPPI