THE COAST 79 resulting from the lumber harvesting operations, and truck garden crops were introduced to Stone County. The American Pickle and Canning Company processed pickles, tomatoes, beans, fruits, berries, and sweet potatoes. The plant was located a short distance from the train depot to take advantage of that transportation line. The products were sold under the registered brand name of American Brands. In 1923, the company reported a profit of $300,000 and employed 150 workers. In 1926, the company sold the pickle plant to the Widlar Company of Cleveland, Ohio, but the plant closed in 1980 even after prospering through world wars, a depression, and changing technological demands. When the plant shut down, Rainbow Foods, Inc., owned it. In those times, Wiggins claimed to have the world’s largest pickle processing company. Another group who used cutover timberlands were twenty-five Danish-American families who settled in Jackson County during the 1930s. Establishing farms, these settlers created an area referred to as Granly and maintained their language and folkways within the region. Other groups in the six South Mississippi counties also established businesses reliant upon the environment of the area. A Different Type of Cash Crop After World War I, lumber operations and shipbuilding enterprises suffered from a lack of business. During the Depression, many of the lumber mills closed in that region because of the economic difficult times, and also because of the overharvesting of the longleaf pine trees. The Hines Lumber Mill at Kiln shut down in 1933. Prior to that time, Kiln residents had manufactured moonshine as a means of earning money. Kiln was actually called the Moonshine Capital of the World, as secret bayous and hideouts on Cat Island facilitated the illegal trade and manufacture of the liquor. In 1935, headlines in a local newspaper spotlighted the seizure of a still in Hancock County. Officials confiscated a seventy-five-gallon copper distillery with 420 gallons of whiskey mash and six gallons of moonshine in the Kiln area. When Prohibition, which lasted from 1919 to 1933, ended with the 21st Amendment to the U.S. Constitution, the bootleg business ceased for the most part. BILOXI BAY BRIDGE The Biloxi Bay Bridge is located over the Biloxi Bay between Gulfport and Biloxi. The bridge was damaged by Hurricane Katrina in 2005 but was repaired completely in twenty months.